NF Functional Performance
NF Functional Performance is Ottawa’s premier destination for Personal Training and Strength and Conditioning; offering real, results based training that caters to people of all walks of life and athletes from every sport imaginable! Founded by Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist and Performance Coach Specialist, Neil Frotten; NF Functional Performance is proud to offer every client and athlete personalized attention, specific programming, and world class service that far exceed industry standards! With a decade of experience training clients and athletes; as well as teaching and mentoring Personal Trainers; Neil has developed a proven, results based training system founded on the principles of Functional Training that yields drastic changes and life-long improvements in health, wellness, fitness and athleticism! NF Functional Performance boasts an impressive resume of clients and athletes by using a cutting-edge training method designed to increase function, decrease pain, prevent injuries, and improve performance for both clients and athletes!
Begin your journey today with NF Functional Performance and Unleash Your Inner Athlete! ™
Neil Frotten, B.A, CSCS
9 years experience as a Personal Trainer, Strength & Conditioning Coach, Performance Coach, Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach
Certifications and Credentials:
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) NSCA in 2013
- Functional Trainer Specialist from the Institute of Human Performance in 2012
- Performance Coach Specialist from the Institute of Human Performance in 2012
- Nutrition and Wellness Specialist Certifications by CanFit-Pro in 2011
- TRX-R4 Team Training Coach Certification by TRX in 2011
- Functional Movement Assessing and Graduated Exercise Method by Dr. Astrid Trim in 2010
- Agatsu Kettlebell Instructor Certification by Shawn Mozen in 2009
- Personal Trainer Specialist by CanFit-Pro in 2008
- CanFit-Pro Toronto Conference Seminars & Workshops in 2009, 2010 and 2011
Athletic History & Achievements
- Red Bull Crashed Ice Competitor 2008, 2010, 2012
- UFE and WBFF Fitness Athlete - 4th Place UFE Halloween Mayhem 2009
- University Cup with University of Ottawa Gee-Gees (5th in CIS National Rankings) – Fredericton, NB 2004
- University of Ottawa Gee-Gees Men’s Ice Hockey –2004, 2005
- 2nd Team League All-Star Maritime Junior A Hockey League - Truro Bearcats 2003
- Junior A Hockey 2000-2002 – Estevan Bruins SJHL & Crowsnest Pass Timberwolves AJHL
- Selected League All-Star Last 3 Consecutive Years of Minor Hockey 1998-2000
Awards & Accomplishments
- Official Sponsor of Team Homan, 2 time National Woman’s Curling Champions http://teamhoman.com/sponsors/
- Strength and Conditioning Coach on Reality TV show, Hit the Ice Season 1 & 2 (APTN Network) 2012, 2013
- International Presenter – MOVE Conference - Functional Training Methodologies as related to Sport Specific Training 2013
- Regular contributor to CTV’s nationwide morning show, Today’s the Day fitness segments
- Goodlife Fitness Personal Trainer of the Year Nomination (Top 10 Nation Wide) 2009
- Faces Magazine Best Fitness Personal Trainer in Ottawa Nomination 2016
- Rachel Homan, Emma Miskew, Lisa Weagle (Team Homan) – Canadian National Woman’s Curling Champions 2013, 2014
- Nick Jensen – Danish Nation Ice Hockey Team World Championships 2015
- Fannie Desforges – 2 Time Red Bull Crashed Ice Champion, Forward Montreal Stars (CWHL), National Woman’s Ball Hockey Champion
- Alex Corsi Caya – Men’s National beach Volleyball Team 2013-2015
- Claudia Seguin – Woman’s National Beach Volleyball team 2013-2015
- Gwynne Attenborough – Red Bull Crashed Ice competitor – 4th Place, Saint Paul, MN 2014
- Adam Skube – Red Bull Crashed Ice competitor 2013-2015
- Ghyslain Hotte – Red Bull Crashed Ice competitor 2012-2014
- Andrew Antsanan – MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) 2-0 record as an amateur – 2014, 2015
- Kirk Bear – Prince George Cougars, Red Deer Rebels WHL (Western Hockey League) 2014-2015
- Mitch Porowski – CIS Rookie of the Year Men’s Ice Hockey 2013
Strength & Conditioning Coach
- Team Homan – Canadian Woman’s National Curling Champions 2013, 2014
- Strength and Conditioning Coach Cumberland Grads Junior A Hockey Club (CCHL) 2015/2016
- Strength and Conditioning Coach Cumberland Grads Midget AAA Hockey Club (CCHL) 2015/2016
- Strength and Conditioning Coach Gloucester Rangers Junior A Hockey Club (CCHL) 2013/2014
- Hit the Ice Season 1 & 2 Strength and Conditioning Coach – 2012, 2013
- Rideau Valley Roller Girls (Ottawa Vixens) – Woman’s Roller Derby – 1st Canadian Team to win the WFTDA tournament in Kitchener-Waterloo 2014
- Red Bull Crashed Ice Team Crazy Canucks (Adam Skube) 3rd place overall Team Challenge 2013-2014
- Red Bull Crashed Ice Team Ontario (Ghyslain Hotte, Adam Skube, Daniel Guolla) 2nd Place Saint Paul, MN 2013
Welcome to NF Functional Performance! Ottawa’s #1 source for client and athlete results and achievements!
Learn how NF Functional Performance uses proven, scientific, practically applied methods to deliver lasting results and real achievements in life and in sport! Take a moment and learn why Functional Training is the most effective training method to achieve real results and gain a level of fitness and athleticism that would otherwise not be possible….
Simply put, functional training is STRENGTH YOU CAN USE!
An easier way to examine functional training is a direct comparison to traditional strength training. Traditional methods would normally focus on a single muscle or a small group of muscles to achieve a desired result. Functional training is training the movement, not the muscle. A biomechanical approach to the human body which focuses on dynamic, multi-planar movements, involving complex motor patterns, level changes, and systems of grouped muscles, working in symphony to accomplish a task (for life) or a skill (for sport). This movement based training system, versus the traditional, one muscle or group of muscles at a time, makes functional training a ‘best bang for your buck’ training philosophy and maximizes the amount of work over time you can accomplish. The end result; quicker gains, stronger bodies, increased mobility, improved athleticism, and injury prevention!
Functional training is simple, but not easy. Like most complex and effective methodologies, there is almost always far more going on behind what you actually see. The human body is a very complex machine, capable of complex movement patterns; functional training is a method which takes into account all the ‘invisible’ factors that often go overlooked to the naked eye and that most other training systems ignore or miss.
So why does NF Functional Performance use Functional Training for clients and athletes alike?
In life, and in sport, most of what we do is repetitive, asymmetrical, and arguably unbalanced. The most common example for most people is the detrimental effects of prolonged bouts of sitting. The seated position has been scientifically proven to be incredibly damaging to the human structure. Repetitive movements, activities, tasks or even prolonged positions such as sitting can lead to pain, dysfunction, and a host of chronic injuries that can leave the body much more vulnerable to an acute injury that might otherwise have been completely preventable! Functional training is the most effective training system to restore function and balance to the body and teaching it (often times re-teaching it) how to move safely and as efficiently as possible.
Functional training isn’t a cookie cutter system that holds a ‘one size fits all’ paradigm. For example, a national level athlete from one sport will almost certainly require very specific movement patterns that will greatly differ from another sport. Movements must become specialized for each individual athlete, in each individual sport; at higher neural requirements, a more complex, specific and scientific approach is required to ensure sound training techniques are being implemented to ensure measurable improvements and results.
Now that you have a better understanding of what Functional Training is, NF Functional Performance invites you to begin your journey towards training specifically for YOUR life and for YOUR sport!
Continue to NF Functional Performance’s ‘SUCCESS STORIES’ to see real clients and real athletes who’ve drastically transformed their lives and athletic careers through this proven training method! When you’re ready to begin your journey or would like to give Functional Training a try, reach out at ‘CONTACT US’ to get started today!
Functional Performance for Sport; Functional Performance for Life! ™
NF Functional Performance
Unleash Your Inner Athlete! ™